Friday, April 20, 2012

Repurposing Formula Cans

Lately I have been on a crafting, organizing, decorating kick, basically my house has been driving me nuts!  My daughters art supplies are one of the things that bugs me the most! I had been looking for a cute way to store her things.  One day as I was taking out the recycling I realized that every week I am tossing out formula cans, they are the perfect size for all her markers, pens, crayons and some of my crafty stuff to! So the following is what I came up with. 

First you need a formula can (even a Quaker Oats, coffee or a similar can would work as well).


Then I take the label off, you don't have to but it gave Addison something to help mommy with!



Then you need to gather your supplies, I use 12 x 12 scrapbook paper, my paper cutter,
 and a glue gun.


Cut the paper to the size that you need, mine was about 7 1/4 inches.  So my first cut was 7 1/4" x 12.  I used a line of hot glue to secure it to the can, you could use any type of adhesive that you perfer, just make sure it holds strong.


That does not make it all the way around, so I use the remaining to cut the size
that I need to fill in the gap.  Glue that on and you're done!




The next part is optional, I like to add a strip of solid colored matching paper to it, that way I can label it with what its contents are, as you can see on some of the cans in the last picture.



Here's my lovely collection so far, I didn't get started till our son was 6 months old, I hate that I wasted so many formula cans before I came up with this!  The small one on the top is a coffee can.


I may try doing some with modge podge next time!




No comments:

Post a Comment